Tuesday 8 November 2016

Lessons from the Oshodi Bridge



Eh ya, and I saw the guy when he was opening the bag o! I wanted to move close to you or pinch you to alert you, pele. These are the sympathetic words you hear from people when you fallen victim of robbery.

The Oshodi bridge where the good and bad agberos hang out is known to have expert pick-pockets professionally trained through years of experience; especially at night or early momo (morning).


I remember some months back walking on the Oshodi pedestrian bridge. I decided to give some money as charity to a handicapped worker. I must admit this was an error on my part, as I tapped the man whom I intended to give some money, (he was backing me). From no where a young tattered looking guy came at my back and immediately I turned he was apparently hoping to steal from me but fortunately I escaped his theft plot through consciousness and God's intervention. 

Anyway to cut the long story short, here are a few lessons to pick from to hopefully keep and your property away from the road thieves :

Lesson 1: DON'T give out money if the person you intend giving is backing you and especially not in a place like Oshodi or Ketu or Mushin. A Big NO!


Lesson 2: Always be alert when you alight from the bus at the Bus stop. Again, I had an unpleasant experience some weeks back at Oshodi. Maybe i'm just too enticing to them, who knows.

Lesson 3: If you carry valuable stuff like laptops, tabs and the likes in a backpack, laptop bag always be at alert. Some people are not so conscious of other passersby near them. You can try swagging up your walk by bouncing your bag just a little.  Sounds weird right, I thought so but think of it how easy can it be to open something in rocky motion,  not so easy. Before any pick-baggie would try to open the bag you would have noticed because of the extra external pressure being used by the thief.

So folks, these are my little lessons for escaping being a victim of theft while commuting.

While it's inevitable to be free from all calamities, some can be avoided if care and caution is taken. 

Stay alert, Stay safe. 

Share your thoughts in the comments or if you've had experience you are willing to share.

2 comments: